List of Mars trilogy charaters
The following is a list of notable characters appearing in the Mars trilogy, in the order of appearance.
 The First Hundred
For the First Hundred, see their main page.
 The descendants of the First Hundred
- Dao: sansei ectogene son of Hiroko Ai. Grew up in Zygote. Among Jackie's following. Joined the Reds, then the Kakaze. Was killed with Kasei while trying to take over the space elevator cable from the UNTA at the Second Martian Revolution.
- Jackie: sansei daughter of Kasei and Esther, grandchild of John Boone. Grew up in Zygote. Main article.
- Rachel: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote. Joined Free Mars, stayed in the party with Jackie for a long time during its super-majority. Later came to live in Minus One Island in the Hellas Sea, recreating a Zygote-like environment.
- Emily: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote. In the late 22nd century lived in Minus One Island, recreating a Zygote-like environment.
- Reull: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote.
- Steve: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote.
- Simud: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote. In the late 22nd century lived in Minus One Island, recreating a Zygote-like environment.
- Nanedi: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote.
- Tiu: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote. Joined the Reds, then Free Mars. Was at the Pavonis Mons Congress. Later came to live in Minus One Island, recreating a Zygote-like environment.
- Huo Hsing: sansei ectogene. Grew up in Zygote. Meaning "fire star" in Chinese.
- Esther: ex-lover of Kasei, with whom she had a daughter, Jackie. Mother of Paul (from either Kasei or Peter).
- Paul: sansei son of Esther and of unknown father (either Kasei or Peter). Father of Diana.
- Diana: yonsei daughter of Paul. Areologist, specialized in hydrology. Praxis's Deep Waters employee at Odessa until Hellas became a sea. Later formed the Aegean Water Table at Odessa. Worked with Maya Toitovna.
Characters born on Mars. Note: this is a non-exhaustive list.
- Zeyk Tuqan: Arab miner. Main article.
- Selim el-Hayil: Arab friend of Frank Chalmers. Was long believed to have been the person responsible for the murder of John Boone. Even though he was related to the murder itself, he was in fact used as a scapegoat by Frank. Died soon after John's murder by poison patches given to him by Frank.
- Etsu Okakura: Japanese industrialist. Director of the Senzeni Na mohole. Was candidate for the executive council of the first Martian government.
- Marion (also spelled Marian): issei Bogdanovist rebel at Senzeni Na. Joined the Reds after the First Martian Revolution. Was at the Pavonis Mons Congress. Became member of the executive council of the first Martian government. Retired at Olympus Mons with fellow Red climbers. Died there from the quick decline. Having climbed in the cliffs without a wristpad, her body was found and retrieved by Peter.
- Yashika Mui: UNOMA auditor at Underhill; arrived on Mars in 2050. Killed by the UNOMA investigation team to accuse John Boone in the Martian sabotages case.
- "Jeeves" Slusinski: Frank Chalmers' replacement as US Secretary of Mars while Frank was away in Zeyk's caravan for circa 2057-2059.
- Mikhail Yangel: issei Bogdanovist. Main article.
- Oskar Schnelling: biologist detained in Korolyov, where he died. Had many followers as a communalist Red mysticist, the Schnellingistas.
- Harry Whitebook: successful Biotique biologist. Around the Second Martian Revolution he designed animals for the Botany Bay (Tempe Terra) ecosystem. Added the crocodile hemoglobin gene in the longevity treatment, allowing increased CO2 tolerance in humans. Lived in Boone Harbor.
- Nanao Nakayama: Japanese issei, co-founder of Sabishii. Taught lung-gom-pa to Nirgal. Played the flute. Was candidate for the executive council of the first Martian government.
- Ariadne: member of the Martian underground at Dorsa Brevia. Was present at the Pavonis Mons Congress. Became member of the executive council of the first Martian government. Became a long-time member of Free Mars and a close associate of Jackie.
- Antar: son of an important Bedu family, member of the mining caravanserais. Befriended Jackie. In time, became the leader of the Arabs, although he was considered to be more of a native Martian at heart. Was a candidate for the executive council of the first Martian government. Became a long-time member of Free Mars and a close associate of Jackie.
- Irishka: rising Red leader following the Second Martian Revolution. Was at the Pavonis Mons Congress. Was a candidate for the executive council of the first Martian government. Became the first chief justice of the Global Environmental Court of the first Martian government.
- Bao Shuyo: grew up in Dorsa Brevia, of Polynesian and Japanese ancestry. Came to be a leading theoretician in mathematics and physics after the Second Martian Revolution. Her work effectively united quantum mechanics and gravity. Lived in Da Vinci, where she befriend with Sax Russell.
- Bela: scientist at Da Vinci, perhaps a fusion expert. Politically active. Volunteered into the global government's advisory group. Put up signs with maxims on the walls of the Da Vinci labs.
- Athos: sansei son of Greek and Indian grandparents. From Licus Vallis, West of Rhodos. Co-founder of a Green party opposed to Free Mars's super-majority.
- Latrobe: director of the Odessa theater troupe that made the Odessa Group of playwrights famous. Mounted many classical Terran tragedies (such as Greek plays and Shakepspeare's plays) and other political plays. Pro-Terran, pro-immigrationist. Maya Toitovna worked with her.
- Deleuze: biogenetic theoritician and philosopher. Tried to mathematize viriditas on a cosmological scale, came up with a model of patches of life isolated in space-time. Following the anthropic principle, maintained that they lived in a flat universe, between permanent expansion and the expand-contract model, that the turning point was close to present time and that humanity could influence one way or the other. Named after the 20th century French philosopher Gilles Deleuze.
Characters born on Earth. Note: this is a non-exhaustive list.
- Arthur Randolph: Main article.
- Helmut Bronski: UNOMA top official. Called back on Earth after the request of the First Hundred. Died of old age late in the 22nd century.
- Sam Houston: UNOMA head investigator. Arrived on Mars in the late 2040s to investigate the Martian sabotages case. Probably returned to Earth.
- "The Eighteen Immortals": close colleagues of William Fort, ran Praxis with him since its beginning. Visited Mars for the Dorsa Brevia Conference. Possibly named after historical Immortal Guards that existed in Peria and Byzance.
- Francis Duval: Michel Duval's nephew, a connoisseur in Arles, France.
|The Mars trilogy|
|Characters||Principal: John Boone · Frank Chalmers · Nadia Cherneshevsky · Ann Clayborne · Michel Duval · Nirgal · Art Randolph · Sax Russell · Maya Toitovna · Zo|
|Places||Stellar bodies: Terra · Mars (Phobos, Deimos, Clarke) · Solar system|
|Groups||First Hundred · Areophany · UNOMA/UNTA · Reds (Kakaze, Marsfirst) · Greens · Free Mars · Praxis · The underground|
|Events||Timeline · 1st Revolution · Dorsa Brevia Conference · 2nd Revolution · Pavonis Mons Congress · 3rd Revolution|
|Concepts||Glossary · Terraforming · Areoformation · Space elevator · Longevity treatment · Eco-economics · Ecopoesis|
|Red Mars · Green Mars · Blue Mars · The Martians|